Thanks Jess - I will try to post my answers as you post yours.
1. Who are you?
Hayley. Born in Vancouver, WA - I think. I don't remember, it was really early in my life (like the minute I was here). I'm a people-person who finds myself alone a lot b/c I'm not very good at making good friends. I would really, sincerely like to meet someone who is as honest and life-loving as myself. I love my two dogs - they've been with me through everything ones goes through from 17-26. My super favorite things are live comedy, reading Grisham and Scottoline, crossword puzzles, sudoku, telling and hearing really offensive jokes and meditating. I think I'd be a better cook if I actually cooked, but George Foreman and his glorious grill have made my life so much simpler. I had my heart seriously broken earlier this year and am on the mend - a soul searching mend. I want to find a good man, an honest man. A man who won't use my support, dedication and finances as a stepping stone in his personal path of self destruction. I plan on mending first, then opening myself up to dating.
I have a shit-load of siblings (four brothers, four sisters). Not really close to any of them, really only like a few of them. My parents are well... my parents. I never really had a bond with my mother and what little relationship we had perished when my parents separated when I was 15. The only reason I have a relationship with my father is because I was the oldest daughter in the household, so we had to start talking. He's a religious man, and I am not. I love him because he's my Dad. I think it's a wonderful thing for the people in this world who get to have a family connection - I am ok with not being one of those people. But I still find it hard to not get involved in my family drama.
I've been at school (college) for a little over a year now. I'm working on all my prerequisites for Nursing school. Wish me luck! Sometimes it feels like I'll never reach the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm determined.
2. What are the 3 most important things everyone should know about you?
a. I'm passionate about most things and people in my life.
b. I don't believe religion determines the good and bad people of this world; how you treat the neighbor you don't know and your best friend at every encounter reveals your true nature.
c. I have survived everything thrown at me - even if during the struggles I felt like I was drowning, I am here and that fact alone makes me feel like I need to be doing more to balance out my luck.
3. When you aren't filling out 5,000 question surveys like this one what are you doing?
Sitting at my PC, listening to the sounds of the neighborhood and my ceiling fan.
4. List your classes in school from the ones you like the most to the ones you like the least (or if you are out of school, think of the classes you did like and didn't like at the time).
Currently, I'm really enjoying my psychology class. I despise my aerobics class - not because I don't like the aerobics, I think the instructor is clueless and feel like I've wasted my money.
5. What is your biggest goal for this year?
To stop thinking about him and the dog he has that we got together.
6. Where do you want to be in 5 years?
Working as a nurse maybe in Portland or elsewhere... east coast? Abroad?
7. What stage of life are you in right now?
The "working my ass off" stage.
8. Are you more child-like or childish?
9. What is the last thing you said out loud?
10. What song comes closest to how you feel about your life right now?
Laura Jensen's "Single Girls"
11. Have you ever taken martial arts classes?
Kick boxing - cardio and the real kind.
12. Does your life tend to get better or worse or does it just stay the same?
It is full of peaks and valleys, but overall gets better.
13. Does time really heal all wounds?
No. Working on bettering yourself does.
14. How do you handle a rainy day?
I live in Portland - I keep an umbrella in my backpack, car, at my desk...
15. Which is worse...losing your luggage or having to sort out tangled holiday lights?
Luggage - way more important.
16. How is your relationship with your parents? Will you miss them when they are gone?
Hmmm... to think of them not being alive makes me very sad but I do not miss them now and they are not in my life. I guess I don't want them (or myself) dying before things that need to be said, are said.
17. Do you tend to be aware of what is going on around you?
Yes - but if I accept that reality is a whole other ball game.
18. What is the truest thing that you know?
Life goes on. With or without you.
19. What did you want to be when you grew up?
A stunt woman.
20. Have you ever been given a second chance?
Never asked for one.
21. Are you more of a giver or a taker?
22. Do you make your decisions with an open heart/mind?
I make my decisions based on the heart of the matter. I wish I used my head more - who cares about it being open, I just want to make smarter choices.
23. What is the most physically painful thing that has ever happened to you?
When I was hospitalized for the flu. Pain and dehydration so drastic I lost consciousness.
24. What is the most emotionally painful thing that has ever happened to you?
Words spewed from my mother and ex best friends... years of avoidance from my mother... lies, manipulations and acts of selfishness from my ex boyfriend.
25. Who have you hugged today?
I hugged my dogs.
26. Who has done something today to show they care about you?
Umm... someone thought of me and invited me to the Providence Bridge Pedal.
27. Do you have a lot to learn?
Yes. About everything.
28. If you could learn how to do three things just by wishing and not by working what would they be?
a. all the anatomy and physiology required for my degree.
b. sing the way I dream I could.
c. and to learn that in spite of everything, believe that all people are really good at heart (Anne Frank)
29. Which do you remember the longest: what other people say, what other people do or how other people make you feel?
How they make me feel.
30. What are the key ingredients to having a good relationship?
Humor, honesty and passion in between the sheets
31. What 3 things do you want to do before you die?
Can't think or pick just three.
32. What three things would you want to die to avoid doing?
a. Someone else die because of my error or misjudgement.
b. lose my younger brother while he so bravely fights for reasons he's been told to fight for.
33. Is there a cause you believe in more than any other cause?
I don't think I could narrow it to just one. I feel strongly about violence against women, child abuse, hunger and the environment.
34. What does each decade make you think of:
The 1920's: stock market crashes, boozing and jazz.
30's: Wizard of Oz, The Depression, Owens at the Olympics, WWII
40's: women in the American workforce, WWII
50's: rock n'roll, gender roles, the birth of the American Dream
60's: Martin Luther King Jr, Kennedy, even better rock n'roll, Elvis, Beatles
70's: Disco, bell bottoms, gas crisis
80's: majority of my siblings born, I'm born, horrible fashion, punk rock
90's: my childhood, Oprah, I become an aunt
2000: 9-11, Y2K scare, bye-bye pagers, hello cell phones, my parents divorce, I graduate high school
2010's: oil spill in the Gulf, I return to college, I start all over
35. Which decade do you feel the most special connection to and why?
Probably the 90's b/c I lived through them.
36. What is your favorite oldie/classic rock song?
There is no way I can pick one song or even one singer/band either.
37. What country do you live in and who is the leader of that country? If you could say any sentence to the current leader of your country what would it be?
USA - Obama and please sir, get our troops outta there! There is no just cause.
38. What's your favorite TV channel to watch in the middle of the night?
I have Netflix.
39. What Disney villain are you the most like and why?
Sorry, I'm not a villain.
40. Have you ever been a girl scout/boy scout?
41. If you were traveling to another continent would you rather fly or take a boat?
42. Why is the sky blue during the day and black at night?
It's all about light source and what us humans call blue. Scattering light and all - and it's dark b/c the sun is below the horizon at that time.
43. What does your name mean?
It is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Hayley is "hay meadow". Place name. May possibly be from the Norse word "haela", meaning "hero". Made famous by actress Hayley Mills in the 1960s. And I am named after Hayley Mills.
44. Would you rather explore the deeps of the ocean or outer space?
Ugh - neither. How about the great outdoors? Wilderness rocks!
45. Word association. What is the first word that comes to mind when you see the word:
Heart: life source
Pulp: orange juice
46. If you could meet any person in the world who is dead who would you want it to be?
Martin Luther King Jr.
47. What if you could meet anyone who is alive?
48. Is there a movie that you love so much you could watch it everyday?
Rent, Sex and the City, Iron Giant, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
49. You are going to be stuck alone in an elevator for a week. What do you bring to do?
the instructions manual so I could get the hell out
50. Have you ever saved someones life or had your life saved?
I pulled a little girl out of the street in Down Town Portland once... without a doubt she would have been hit by a car.
Until next time...